Here’s some helpful information we’ve gathered from various sources about financing one of the most amazing opportunities in life!
- A Child Waits (www.achildwaits.org) – This organization provides loans up to $10,000 for one child. They are interested in assisting families who can financially support a child and repay the loan, but who do not have the current funds to adopt.
- The Boatner Family Foundation – A small foundation which provides grants from $1,000 to $10,000. Requirement include an agency approval, a financial statement, and a formal application. (No website available – Contact: The Boatner Foundation, P.O. Box 132272 , The Woodlands, Texas 77393-2272)
- Gift of Adoption Fund (www.jsw-adoption.org) – JSW Adoption Foundation was established to help adoptive parents by subsidizing a portion of the adoption cost. Grants are awarded monthly, and are usually in excess of $2,000. Any adoptive family may apply. Requirements include an approved home study and financial need. Preference is given to families without children.
- God’s Grace Adoption Ministry (www.ggam.org) – A non-profit organization that helps Christian adoptive parents overcome the financial obstacles of adopting children. Assistance is available in the form of grants based on financial needs, and also interest free loans.
- Helping Kids Cope (www.helpingkidscope.com) – Helping Kids Cope helps adoptive parents who are home study ready to defray the cost of the adoption services. They are aware that there are many families that can afford all the adoption fees, but if they can help with some of those fees, then the family’s finances could go toward that child’s future.
- His Kids, Too! (www.hiskidstoo.org) – His Kids, Too! provides financial assistance to those adopting international through a select group of agencies. His Kids, Too! provides an adoption grant of up to $2,000 for one child, and up to $4,000 for 2 children. Grants are paid directly to the agency or facilitation service. (For independent adoptions, grants are approved on a case-by-case basis.)
- National Adoption Foundation (www.nafadopt.org) – This organization awards grants four times a year and has no income requirements. The grants range in amount from $500 to $4,000. This foundation also has a loan program. Provides unsecured loans available for adoption- related costs.
- Shaohannah’s Hope (www.shaohannahshope.com) – Steven Curtis Chapman’s organization that helps families adopt by providing grants to those who have completed a home-study.
- Dave Thomas foundation (www.davethomasfoundation.org) – provides information, resources and grants for families wanting to adopt.
Fundraising Ideas for Families
- Send letters to family, friends, and business acquaintances asking for donations for your adoption expenses. Provide address of agency so gifts can be anonymous.
- Tell everyone you know what you are doing. Start a money jug.
- Have a big garage sale with donated items. Ask a local business or your church if you can hold it in their parking lot. Find a good location!
- Host a dinner, have entertainment, and charge admission. Sell hotdogs and drinks at Home Depot or Lowes. Work at a sporting event concession—requires a non-profit status.
- Mow lawns, clean homes of friends and family, Pet sit, babysit having the money go towards your adoption.
- Have a carnival for kids. Some ideas: cupcake walk, bingo, popcorn or sodas, face painting booth, basketball throw, picture made with a clown, etc.
- Craft sale or bake sale. Get friends or family to donate baked goods or crafts.
Please Note: GodSpotters has attempted to verify the organizations on this list to ensure they exist. This is subject to change without notice.
Adapted from HelpingHandsAdoption.org